I was so free yesterday that I decided to pick up the Alchemist (which I’ve bought for months) and read. I heard it was really good, but I’m not super impressed by it. It does reinforce some important messages though. Some of them popped up especially when I feel hopeless with the current job situation.
The main theme is about finding one’s personal legend. For the boy it was easy, it’s just a dream that he had twice. And that legend suits his interest too… One thing that is the most important about the search is to be not afraid of risking what you have originally… We all become accustomed to what we have, and it becomes something that holds us from pursuing our mission in life… He has doubts along the way, especially when he finds the one that worths more than the treasure… He continues his search because true love doesn’t stop one from pursuing his mission…
Some good quotes:
- Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.
- If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work toward getting it.
- Don’t forget that everything you deal with is only one thing and nothing else.
- When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
- It was the pure Language of the World. It required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time. What the boy felt at that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life, and that, with no need for words, she recognized the same thing. He was more certain of it than of anything in the world. He had been told by his parents and his grandparents that he must fall in love and really know a person before becoming committed. But maybe people who felt that way had never learned the universal language. Because, when you know that language, it’s easy to understand that someone in the world awaits you, whether it’s in the middle of the desert or in some great city. And when two such people encounter each other, and their eyes meet, the past and the future become unimportant. There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only. It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world. Without such love, one’s dreams would have no meaning.